NHS health chiefs have issued a health alert after it emerged that a batch of drips used in passing nutritional supplements to babies in intensive care were contaminated.
One baby has died and 14 others are in critical condition in 6 neonatal wards across England after suffering from blood poisoning,although they are said to be responding to antibiotics.
It is thought that the contaminated batch has already been used in 22 hospitals across England and the affected batch have now been recalled by regulators who are investigating the manufacturers of the medicine.
According to the Telegraph, Regulators are not ‘anticipating’ any other cases as the bacteria (Bacellus cereus), which cause the infections develops quickly, although they are not ruling out the possibility.
The newborn died on Sunday at Guys and St Thomas hospital in London. The babies who are thought to have been born premature, were being fed the nutritional feed by tube as they weren’t strong enough to feed by mouth.
A Professor of Paediatrics who spoke to the Telegraph called the incident ‘everyone’s nightmare’.
A statement from one of the founders of the company ITH Pharma Ltd, who manufacture the made to order fluids said the Company was ‘very saddened’ about what had happened and that they were cooperating fully with the regulatory authorities to establish what happened to the baby.