But Resident Doctors Still Sacked
Nigerian Doctors returned to work on Monday after a 65 day strike over work and pay conditions.
The Nigerian medical association (NMA) made the announcement over the weekend that it would be suspending the 2 month strike which has had a crippling effect on the country’s health system as only private hospitals have been open to the public during the dispute with the federal government.
The group’s President Kayode Obembe told journalists that the strike was being called off due to the recent Ebola outbreak in the country which has so far killed 5 people according to reports.
A condition for the suspension of the strike is the reinstatement of over 16, 000 resident doctors who were sacked following a directive by President Goodluck Jonathan earlier this month.
The association has also directed its members to step up communication with state and local branches of the association to coordinate programmes aimed at preventing and treating the spread of the Ebola virus in Nigeria.
So far, there has been no word from the Presidency on reinstating the sacked resident Doctors. Senate President David Mark said the President was currently not in the country, and assured that the President would consider the matter upon arrival.