Nigeria avoids FIFA ban as Giwa steps down

Nigeria appears to have escaped an international ban over the leadership crisis of its football federation, due to the current president of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) Chris Giwa finally stepping down.

He was given an ultimatum last week to give him his role for face a ban from FIFA. If suspended, Nigeria would have had to miss the Africa Cup of Nations qualifier in South Africa on Wednesday, which would have meant that the Super Eagles would be kicked out of the 2015 qualifiers, as confirmed by the Confederation of African Football.

Musa Amadu, the general secretary of the NFF, has already resumed work in the federation office in Abuja on Monday. He said in an interview with BBC Sport, “It has been a difficult time for our football but everything is over now. Our attention should shift towards moving our football forward because the country’s football has gone through a tough period.”

“The next step is to have an extra-ordinary assembly that will set a date for the elections for the new executive committee. It is important to emphasise that this will not happen beyond 25 September, as directed by FIFA.”

On Monday FIFA told BBC Sport, “We are verifying the respective information concerning the Nigeria Football Federation and can’t make additional comments for the time being.”

Before, Nigeria had been banned from global football for nine days in July for government interference in the running the football federation when Maigari was forced out of his post by a court ruling.

He was eventually reinstated, but then voted out of office by the NFF’s executive committee a few days after. This was not accepted by FIFA however, and Maigari was once again back as president in August.

 

Related News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Download NL Magazine Latest Issue

Copyrıght 2014. All RIGHTS RESERVED NAIJA LIVING UK.
Naija Living UK is a subsidiary of Talk Media Ltd.
Registered in England and Wales.