Former Head of State Gen Muhamadu Buhari has alleged that one of the explosions which took place in Kaduna on Wednesday was an assassination attempt. In a statement released to the Nigerian press, Buhari alleged that a vehicle had been trailing his convoy before launching an attack which took the lives of scores of people.
“I was personally involved in a clearly targeted bomb attack today along Ali Akilu Road, Kawo – Kaduna about2:30pm on my way to Daura,” said Buhari..
“The unfortunate event, clearly an assassination attempt, came from a fast moving vehicle that made many attempts to overtake my security car but was blocked by my escort vehicle. We reached the market area of Kawo where he took advantage of our slowing down and attempted to ram my car and instantly denoted the bomb which destroyed all the three cars in our convoy.””
“Thank God for His mercy, I came out unhurt but with three of my security staff sustaining minor injuries – they have been treated in hospital and discharged.”
Former FCT Minister Nasir El Rufai claimed yesterday that the government was responsible for the attack. In a statement posted on his Facebook page, El Rufai claimed it was telling that an assassination attempt was made on the former ruler’s life ‘two days after he challenged President Goodluck Jonathan in public.
“INTERESTING TIMES,” said Rufai.
“Buhari cautions Jonathan against impunity. Two days later, Boko Haram responds to this by bombing Buhari’s convoy. Are these the Snipers at work? And who are they working for? It does not take a genius to know.”
The number of casualties from both explosions are yet to be confirmed by authorities as at the time of reporting.