A community in Abeokuta, Ogun State, Nigeria are reeling from shock after discovering the bodies of 5 members of the same family in the city.
Neighbours woke up to find Aliu Adeoye, his second wife and their children in the house while the first wife and her children were safe.
According to Nigeria’s Leadership Weekend newspapers, the first wife (name withheld) fainted on discovering the scene and was subsequently rushed to a nearby hospital where she was brought to. Things soon turned sour when members of the small community in Temidire turned on her accusing her of wiping out the other members of the family. Police had to rescue the unnamed woman from a potential lynching by members of the community who accused her of murder.
Neighbours also told the paper that things between the wives weren’t kosher as they were always fighting and cursing each others, which led many to believe she was responsible for the mysterious deaths.
However, the community leader told reporters that there was a strong smell of insecticide in the house where the bodies were found suggesting that the deaths could have been as a result of carbon monoxide fumes inhaled from the family’s generator.
Accusations of ‘black magic’ or ‘juju’ in Nigeria are rife especially in small communities with the cause of many deaths that cannot be medically ascertained blamed on the use of the substance.
On the other hand, there have been a number of deaths in the country due to fumes from generators with entire families being wiped out as they slept after inhaling poisonous fumes emitted from the low quality generators.
Generators are an integral part of life in Nigeria due to epileptic power supply in the country. Many families use generators to augment power supply particularly at night when it gets too hot with some keeping the equipment very close to windows which have direct access to the house.