A new case of the Ebola virus epidemic which has killed hundreds in Africa has been confirmed by health officials in Nigeria.
Officials said one of the doctors who treated Patrick Sawyer who died of the disease after arriving in Nigeria last week has now tested positive for the disease which world health bodies have described as ‘out of control’.
A second doctor has also been tested and results are expected later on Monday.
About 70 people who had contact with the Liberian victim are said to be under close surveillance as the disease has a three-week incubation period.
Eight out of the group have already been quarantined at an isolation ward provided by the Lagos state government according to the Minister of Health Onyebuchi Chukwu.
The government has stepped up airport security with temperature scans and health workers on high alert to any likely cases of the disease at the borders.