The family of Alice Gross, the missing school girl who went missing in August are in grief today after the Met confirmed that the body discovered hidden in the River Brent on Wednesday is indeed that of the teenager.
The Met had issued a statement yesterday saying they had found the body of a teenager in the River, but there was no confirmation if it was that of Alice until last night.
Alice’s family have issued a statement stating that were ‘devastated’ and asking that they be ‘allowed to grieve privately.’
“We have been left completely devastated by the recent developments and it is difficult to comprehend that our sweet and beautiful daughter was the victim of a terrible crime. Why anyone would want to hurt her is something that we are struggling to come to terms with, said her parents.
“We still don’t know who is responsible for this crime and we ask that people continue to help the police by giving them information that could help bring the perpetrator to justice.”
A post-mortem examination has begun to find out what caused Alice’s death and hopefully, there will be clues that will lead to the tracing of the killer, although this will be of little comfort to her parents who have had to endure a month of hope that their daughter will return home, only to hear the devastating news.
Friends of the family as well as the community participated in appeals and awareness campaigns to find the teenager as the Police launched it’s biggest manhunt since the 7/7 attacks in London.
Alice’s body was found in the River on Wednesday evening less than a mile from where she was last seen. The police said there had been significant efforts to conceal her body and a murder investigation has now been launched.
She was only 14.