What does the future hold for African Education?
With stats like this, the UK and the rest of the world can continue to expect a constant stream of applicants from Africa as parents abandon failed academic institutions on the continent in search of better quality education for their children overseas.
Two lists from the Times higher Education world rankings and world reputation rankings have both shown a glaring absence of African Universities in the top 50 of the world’s best performing Uni’s. In fact, there are no African Universities in sight in the top 200.
According to the world rankings report, California Institute of Technology has knocked Harvard University off the top spot, but British institutions haven’t done badly with three schools in the top 10 including Oxford, Cambridge and Imperial College.
UCL, Queen Mary and LSE, Universities once tipped as some of the world’s best have slipped further to the bottom of the list with each year.
They do however appear in the top 50 of the Higher educations reputation ranking, a separate report based on a survey of some of the world’s most respected experts in higher education.
These are the Universities ranked according to performance by the academics surveyed.
1. Harvard University United states
2. Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) United States
3. Stanford University United States
5. University of Oxford United Kingdom
7. Princeton University United States
8. Yale University United States
9. California Institute of Technology (Caltech) United States
10.University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) United States
11. The University of Tokyo Japan
13. Imperial College London United Kingdom
14. University of Chicago United States
16. ETH Zürich – Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zürich Switzerland
17. Cornell University United States
18. Johns Hopins University United States
19. Kyoto University Japan
20. University of Toronto Canada
21. National University of Singapore (NUS) Singapore
22. University of Pennsylvania United States
23. University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign United States
24.London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) United Kingdom
25. University College London (UCL) United Kingdom