Missing Girls Identified On Latest Video, Military Operation Launched

By Jessica Onah

54 of the abducted school girls have been identified by friends and family in the latest video realeased Boko Haram which shows a large group of girls all clothed in muslim dress.

The Nigerian Government have confirmed a military operation has been launched to rescue the girls who have been held captive for a month now.

“International operations have commenced in collaboration with the Nigerian military … The operations are being carried out in conjunction with Nigerian troops,” Mike Omeri, coordinator of the national information centre, told a press conference.

There was slight worry within the Nigerian army when soldiers staged a mini mutiny earlier on this week, protesting the indifference of their commanders after Boko Haram ambushed and killed four of their colleagues.

Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram’s leader has requested for the girls to be exchanged for their own militants held in custody.

As the Nigerian military step up in an attempt to locate the girls, Canada also lend some help sending special forces to assist Nigeria troops, joining teams from US, UK, France and Israel.

The British prime minister told MPs on Wednesday: “I can announce we have offered Nigeria further assistance in terms of surveillance aircraft, a military team to embed with the Nigerian army in their HQ, and a team to work with US experts to analyse information on the girls’ location.”

US secretary of state John Kerry has promised that Washington will bring Boko Haram’s leader to justice once the girls have been safely returned.

Nearly 200 people wearing red #BringBackOurGirls T-shirts gathered in Abuja marking 30 days since the girls’ abduction.

In attendance was Pastor Enoch Mark of Chibok who has lost two of his daughters in the abduction, he said to the audience: “Today is 30 days. I have not been sleeping well. There is no night from 14 April when I can sleep more than three hours. I am not eating well. But seeing you this evening, you give me hope and you give me courage.”

Protestors will be marching to Downing Street this weekend in an effort to ensure the successful rescue of the abducted girls.

IMG_6037

 

 

Related News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Download NL Magazine Latest Issue

Copyrıght 2014. All RIGHTS RESERVED NAIJA LIVING UK.
Naija Living UK is a subsidiary of Talk Media Ltd.
Registered in England and Wales.